How to Apply
Is there a waiting list?
The Preliminary Interest List for the Housing Choice Voucher Program will be open between May 1 and May 15, 2018
PROCESS AND GUIDELINES:
- Pre-applications must be submitted at fresnohousing.org/onlineapplication. Applicants can apply anywhere internet access is available. Applicants can also apply with any mobile device. It is important to know that a valid email account must be set up prior to completing a pre-application.
- Applicants can apply for both the Housing Choice Voucher City and the Housing Choice Voucher County programs
- When funding is available, pre-applications will be RANDOMLY selected using a LOTTERY system and preferences will be applied. Eligible applicants may receive rental subsidy assistance in either the City or County of Fresno.
- All pre-applications accepted will be included in random draws through the end of the year and a final draw will be completed in December 2018. Pre-applications that are not selected will be canceled. Applicants will have an opportunity to reapply in the Spring of 2019 (unless otherwise published).
- Applicants who live, work or go to school in the City or within the County of Fresno must check the residency preference box to receive this preference on the interest list. Applicants must also read all other preferences to see if they meet the criteria and must also check those boxes.
- After closing on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 the Interest List will remain open for limited preferences and referral based programs only. For more information on these preferences visit fresnohousing.org/preferences
IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to check the box(es) that tell us if you qualify for a preference. Preferences are used when selecting applicants from the interest list, along with the lottery draw. Preferences are verified. If the preference(s) cannot be verified, preference points will be removed and the pre-application may be cancelled. So, read carefully.
Read the description of the Preferences below. When you get to the Preference section of the pre-application check the box if you can answer YES to any of the questions below to receive preference points.
- Residency Preference – Check this box if you can answer YES to any of these questions:
- Do you live in any one of the cities located in Fresno County?
- Do you work in any one of the cities located in Fresno County?
- Do you go to school in any one of the cities located in Fresno County?
- Elderly/Disabled Preference – Check this box if you can answer YES to any of these questions:
- Is the head of household, spouse, or co-head age 62 or older?
- Is the head of household, spouse, or co-head disabled?
- US Veterans Preference – Check this box if you can answer YES to any of these questions:
- Is the head of household an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces?
- Is the head of household a U.S. veteran?
- Is the head of household a surviving spouse of a U.S. veteran?
What apartments are available?
Information about available apartment complexes that participate in the Housing Choice Voucher program is available at GoSection8.com.
What will rent cost with a Voucher?
Rent for Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program participants is based on household income. Typically, HCV participants pay approximately 30% of their adjusted income. The balance of the rent (up to an approved amount) is paid directly to the property owner by the Fresno Housing Authority. Rent amounts are in accordance with requirements and guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Learn more about rent.