Establishing Contract Rent
Fresno Housing Authority calculates the contract rent that is allowable under the terms of the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program and rules determined by HUD, and the portion of that rent that must be paid by residents. In the first year of the contract, the tenant portion is 30 to 40% of the family’s monthly adjusted income, depending on the contract rent amount. After the first year of the contract, the tenant (Voucher Holder) portion of the rent may exceed 40%, depending upon the actual rent amount.
Rent Changes / Reasonableness
You must provide your tenant with a written 60-day notice of rent increase with a copy to the Housing Authority along with a completed Rent Adjustment form. The Housing Authority must receive these two documents within 10 business days of the date of the 60-day notice. The following also applies:
- The unit must have passed the Housing Quality Standards Inspection (PDF) within the past 12 months.
- Tenant has resided in the unit for at least 12 months and continues to reside in the unit.
- The requested rental amount is supported by a rent comparability study conducted by Fresno Housing Authority.
You can expect a written approval from the Housing Authority within 60 days of receipt of your request and the effective date of the rent increase would be the month following the 60-day period. Until you receive the written approval from the Housing Authority, there will be no change in your tenant’s portion of rent or the housing assistance payment.
Tools for calculating the allowable contract rent and the tenant portion of rent include:
- Income Limits
- Payment Standards (updated 2018) based on Fair Market Rent, as established by HUD
- 2019 HCV Utility Allowance Schedules Single and Multi-Dwelling
- Rent Affordability Calculator
Any changes to the tenant portion of the rent amount will be stated in writing by Housing Authority, to the Housing Choice Voucher participant and the property owner.
Related Documents and Links
For more information, contact Owner Services: (559) 443-8400 ext 5622