Maintenance / Repairs
Fresno Housing Authority is required to inspect tenant residences at least once a year. The purpose of the inspection is to ensure that the residence is in a decent, safe and sanitary condition. The tenant will be notified in writing at least two days prior to the inspection. On the day of the inspection, an inspector will examine the unit and note any defects and housekeeping issues. Following the inspection, site maintenance staff will visit the residence to make any needed repairs. It is not necessary for the tenant to be present during the inspection.
Throughout the year, Fresno Housing Authority may have to re-inspect a tenant’s unit as part of HUD’s annual review of the Fresno Housing Authority’s operations. As with regular inspections, the tenant will be notified at least two days prior to inspection.
MAINTENANCE SERVICE AND CHARGES
Public housing tenants will not be charged for any damage(s) that are caused by normal wear and tear, but will be responsible for the cost of repair for any damage to the apartment caused by household members or guests due to improper use, neglect, abuse or carelessness. These charges will appear on the rent statement and must be paid in full with the rent.
To report non-emergency maintenance problems inside or outside the apartment, please contact the property management office between the hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays and Fridays when the Fresno Housing Authority offices are closed.
To report an emergency when the Housing Authority offices are closed, call 443-8400.
Be sure to get the work order number for future reference.
The following situations would be considered emergency:
- Gas leaks
- Broken water lines
- Toilet stoppage (when there is only one bathroom in the unit)
- Burst water heater
- Defective wall heater
- No water throughout unit
- Destruction of front or rear exterior door
- Entry door broken and unable to lock
- Broken window and/or window lock
- Defective or missing smoke detector
- Collapsing wall and/or ceiling
- Exposed/frayed electrical wires, exposed fuse box connection
- Electric failure throughout the unit
- Unlit wall heater pilots (winter season only)
- Elevator failure
- Water leaks on or near electrical equipment
Other situations, while urgent, would not be considered an emergency and will be corrected on the next Fresno Housing Authority work day. The following situations would be considered urgent:
- Sink stoppages (kitchen, bathroom basin, laundry basin)
- Toilet stoppage (when there is more than one toilet in the unit)
- Refrigerator and/or freezer inoperable
- Stove and oven completely inoperable
- Large hole in exterior wall with air coming from outside
- Broken steps
- No hot water
All other work will be coded as ROUTINE. Routine work is to be completed within 3 to 5 calendar days.